Tuesday 22 March 2016

The Barn - Holt

Appleyard
Holt
Norfolk
NR25 6AR

Breakfast served
Monday to Saturday - 8.45am till 11.30am
 

Free wifi available


You can find The Barn in Appleyard, just off Holt High Street.



 
I sat downstairs but there's also more seating to be found upstairs.




The breakfast menu is served until 11.30am and includes a vegetarian option. Both breakfasts include toast and a hot drink making them great value for money.



This is what I like to see, information on local suppliers and where to find a newspaper should you fancy reading one. I made use of the free wifi to keep me entertained whilst sipping my coffee, the password can be found on the front of the menu.




A bottle of Heinz ketchup is always a promising sign!




The filter coffee comes with the breakfast but you can choose tea if you prefer.




2 slices of toast and real butter also come with the cooked breakfast.




It was a nicely presented breakfast and served piping hot.




The sausage came from P & S Butchers of Holt, great texture and flavour.




Decent rashers of bacon and delicious mushrooms.




I usually choose fried eggs but scrambled eggs made with double cream was difficult to resist.




I was helping my wife at a Spring market in Holt for the day and decided it was the perfect opportunity to venture out for breakfast somewhere. The problem was finding somewhere I hadn't already tried though, The Lawns Hotel on Station Road was a possibility but they finished serving breakfast fairly early so the search continued. My wife looked online and spotted The Barn, it looked really promising and they served breakfast until 11.30am giving me much more time to get there. I did get a bit lost looking for it but eventually I spotted it as I turned a corner into Appleyard...

Upon entering - The Barn can be found inside a stunning building away from any traffic in a beautiful courtyard. Inside it's very traditional with nice chunky tables and a tiled floor, large windows ensure that plenty of natural light floods in. It's a nice relaxing environment covering two floors, newspapers are available for customers to read and there's free wifi too which is always a bonus. Choose where you would like to sit and decide what you would like from the menu, this is already on the table. There's full table service here so just sit back and everything will be taken care of, simply settle your bill at the counter on the way out. 8/10

Service - I was greeted as soon as I entered and didn't have to wait very long at all until somebody came over to see if I was ready to order. I'd already decided the night before whilst studying the breakfast menu online that I would be having the Full English breakfast. I was offered the options of tea or coffee, white or brown toast and scrambled, poached or fried eggs. I broke my usual tradition of choosing fried eggs and ordered scrambled instead, the fact it was made using double cream made it irrisistable. The coffee, cutlery and ketchup arrived first, next to arrive was the toast and shortly after this the Full English. With everything on the table I was asked if I would like another drink, I never usually have a second drink but thinking it might be a refill I accepted, when I settled the bill at the end I discovered it wasn't a refill though. The staff here were very friendly and welcoming, they worked together really well as a team and looked like they were enjoying their work. 8/10

Contents - 1 sausage, 2 bacon, egg, 1 hash brown, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, toast and a hot drink. 8/10

Presentation - The breakfast was neatly laid out in the centre of the plate, toast was served on a side plate with butter satchets. A single sausage is always quite a lonely sight but the hash brown seemed to be keeping it company quite nicely. 8/10

The food - The Norfolk sausage and smoked back bacon from P & S Butchers were both delicious, it certainly makes a big difference when quality meats are used on a breakfast. The scrambled eggs were really nice with a creamy taste and good consistency. The hash brown was fairly standard but nice and crispy and the mushrooms had plenty of flavour. I didn't detect much taste from the tomatoes so I covered them in ketchup to make up for this. The beans were nice and hot and the toast was evenly browned. 8/10

Value for money - The Full English breakfast including toast and hot drink cost £8.70. 8/10

Veggie option - Fried, poached or double cream scrambled eggs, grilled tomato, flat mushroom, beans, 2 hash browns, toast and tea or coffee for £7.70

Overall - Nearly all of the places serving a Full English breakfast in Holt are including toast and a hot drink in the price which is always a good thing offering better value for money. I did spend a bit more than I wanted to here not realising my second cup of coffee wasn't a refill, not a problem though and I'll be more wary of this in future. The Barn has a friendly staff team that make you feel welcome, the environment inside is relaxing and it's a great spot to enjoy the delicious breakfast they are serving here. Being a bit hidden away from the High Street means you could easily miss it it, be sure to search it out though as it's well worth visiting. 8/10

1 comment:

  1. How do you always usually choose fried eggs? ;)

    ReplyDelete